Date: Monday, November 8 2021
Time: 4:15 PM-6:00 PM EDT
Location: ONLINE (ZOOM)
Learn from an autistic facilitator about autistic identity, myths, and facts and how to make events and spaces welcoming to autistic folks.
What can you expect?
Have you ever “lit it up blue” for World Autism Awareness Day or donated to Autism Speaks? If so, it’s time to hear directly from an autistic person and facilitator about how the autistic community feels about these actions, and what they actually represent. Join Raya Shields on November 8th for an informative crash course on the autistic community.
- An introduction to autism from the perspective of autistic folks
- Discussion of neurodiversity + autistic identity
- Myths + facts about autism
- The medical vs the social model of disability as it pertains to autism
- Basic principles of respectful engagement with autistic folks
- Sensory and communication differences between autistic and autistic people and how to bridge these
- Practical tips for allies and making events/spaces welcoming to autistic participants
Virtual doors will open at 4:15pm EDT and the workshop will begin promptly at 4:30pm EDT.
For more information and to register, click here.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!